Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

College Romance

 Hey Everybody,

So lately I've been thinking of a topic that comes up a lot during the holidays: Romance. Even more specifically than romance, love. So in the last few years Disney has been feeding my inner feminist with movies like Brave, Maleficent, and Frozen, where romantic love isn't the main focus, but more a back burner theme, with no relationships that come to fruition. That's cool, but another part of me, probably the 1950s me would like a really cheesy romance between Disney characters, like Eugene and Rapunzel's. Tangled is one of my favorite Disney films, beside Mulan, because in both, the girl kicks butt, finds herself, and gets the man. If we're gonna spout equality, then girls should have the right to daydream about getting the guy after saving the day and guys can daydream about getting the girl after saving the day, or even better....they both save the day together and get each other!

So why have I greeted you with this rant? Good question....I'll answer it. On my way back from my late-night coffee there was a couple in front of me on the way out and back to the dorms. I'm not one of those romance hating, jealous of every relationship I see kind of girl. This guy was so much taller than the girl he was with that she barely came to above his belly button. He pushed open the door for her and not in this I'm a chivalrous nice guy, hear me score kind of way either. This girl he was with was talking so passionately about something that she would have walked right into the door, so he pushed it open, even though she was in front of him. When they went to cross the street, he pulled her back by her backpack to keep her from walking into traffic. But the entire time, he was looking at her with this indescribable look of care and devotion, taking in every word she said. Which by the way I couldn't understand because they weren't speaking English or German.

It made me believe that unlike High School Romance and all the Netflix and Chill I see everywhere, there are relationships nowadays that can go the distance. It really gave me some optimism and I hope it can give you some too. If not I'll probably right something cynical for my next post.

Best of luck to everyone during the next few weeks with finals and final projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment